EGS had an amazing week in football last week – Congratulations to ALL the football teams!

Middlesex Cup Final Year 10 – Match Report

The Year 10s returned to Rectory Park where they successfully captured the Middlesex cup 2 years ago, but could they repeat the feat with a couple of key absentees?

EGS had a slight upper hand in the first exchanges, moving the ball around the pitch nicely. Twyford defended well and kept us at arms length for long periods of time and had their own chances early on.

Twyford looked organised and solid in defence. It took some creativity and quick passes in midfield and a late run into the box from Bruno Hoyck who found himself unmarked and he coolly slotted the ball into the corner to make it 1-0.

It continued to be a close game and Twyford grew in confidence as the half went on. Their talented front 2 were giving the EGS back four a few problems.

A scrappy passage of play led to the Twyford striker dribbling down the right wing at pace before being fouled in the area for a penalty. The same player stepped up and placed it in the corner to make it 1-1.

The second half saw Twyford start strongly and they came out flying with an early penalty appeal waved away by the referee.

EGS were not so lucky the second time as the Twyford striker made another dynamic run, this time down the left wing to get fouled in the area. Penalty to Twyford. With Twyford well on top at this stage it could have spelt disaster for EGS…but, Antonio Alexander in goal had other ideas!

Antonio won the battle this time and guessed the right way to make a spectacular penalty save. But he wasn’t done there. He quickly kicked it out to the wing and EGS were instantly on the attack.

Lucas Mckie eventually picked up the ball on the left wing, beating 2 defenders, cutting inside and calmly stroking the ball past the keeper to make it 2-1 to EGS.

From there, Charlie Mcloughlin started to dictate the game and Elvis Elendu and Sam Wray were solid as a rock in defence not giving Twyford a chance.

A true team performance in the second half saw EGS see out the game in full control and bring home the Middlesex cup for the second time!

Well done EGS!

Reporter: Mr M Bowe